18.3.11

SGF: Lent - Day 9

[I missed a few days... will try to do better.]

A couple things that stood out to me in today's readings:

The Bible Song is from Psalm 28:1-2, 6-7 and in it the Psalmist says to God, "if you remain silent, I will be like those who go down to the pit" (v. 1b). I love that image of us feeling as if we're lost and trapped (in a pit) if God does not respond to our prayers. It is so important to us to hear from God. We are in a two-way relationship with Him, which means we must communicate by speaking AND listening. Yet how often do we stop and actually listen for God's response? How often do we put aside everything else in our lives and just wait on Him? I know I don't do it anywhere near often enough and I'm thankful that reading this book is helping me begin doing this. Later, in verse 7, the Psalmist says, "my heart trusts in him [the Lord], and he helps me". Again, this reminder that God does not leave us alone and that He will help us when we ask is so comforting especially in light of everything that's going on in the world. I look at the desolation in Japan and I listen to the heartaches of so many people in my life who are going through such dark and difficult times and I feel helpless. But I can still pray and have hope and knowledge that God will answer - He will not remain silent and He will help. We don't have to "go down to the pit" and let such tragedies destroy us. We only have to ask God to interceded; to somehow show us His truth and beauty in the midst of such destruction and heartbreak. And He will be faithful; He promises He is.

The Bible Reading then reminds us "that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone" (1 Timothy 2:1). When I don't know what else to do or how else to respond in the face of awful circumstances, I can and should pray. It does make a difference. "This is good, and pleases God our Savior" (1 Timothy 2:3).

No comments:

Post a Comment