11.3.11

SGF: Lent - Day 3

The theme of the inner life and the state of our hearts is continued as we read more of Psalm 51. The psalmist asserts that God does "not delight in sacrifice" nor "take pleasure in burnt offerings" (v. 16). Rather, he says, "My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise" (v. 17). The Bible Song carries on this theme by imploring us to "[b]e reconciled to God" (2 Corinthians 5:20b) and to not "receive God's grace in vain" (2 Corinthians 6:1b).

The Prayer and the Blessing remind me again that I need God's help to make my heart right with him (as I was discussing about yesterday's reading): "Freeing God ... Not only can I do no good without you, I can't even drum up a desire for you unless you first give it to me" (BC 14). "Redeem us from all wickedness, purify us and make us your very own, eager to do what is good" (see Titus 2:14).

I am so thankful that this Lenten season, I am reminded that God cares more about the state of my heart (and what comes out of that, in terms of how I live my life) than he does about the appearance of the state of my heart and that He is able and willing to help me make my heart right before Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment