1.3.11

SGF: Epiphany - Day 55

The imagery in the Psalms really is incredible. Talk about some quality poetry. Today's Bible Song contains the image of a sharp tongue again: "I am in the midst of lions; I am forced to dwell among man-eating beasts, whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose tongues are sharp swords" (Psalm 57:4). I don't want to be this speaker, who obviously feels surrounded and outnumbered by his enemies. The implication is that his enemies, these "lions" are hurting him with their words, with what they are saying about him. A good reminder that our words have great power and potential to harm and heal.

A couple of things in the Bible Reading today stood out to me:
- Jesus says to the Pharisees, who are challenging Him on appearing as His own witness, "You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one. But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me" (v. 15-16). I wonder at this. Does Jesus really "pass judgment on no one"? Or does he mean that he doesn't judge by human standards? This makes more sense to me and I have to say it relieves me. Thank goodness Jesus doesn't judge my human standards! We are so judgmental of each other in so many ways every single day. It's comforting to know that God's judgment is "true".
- Jesus is really harsh to the Pharisees. He's talking about his Father, and the Pharisees ask Him where His father is. Jesus replies, "You do not know me or my Father...If you knew me, you would know my Father also" (v. 19). Ouch. But again, I find comfort in it, as well as some clarity. Jesus' job was to point to the Father (isn't that our job as Christians as well?!) and He knew that if someone believed in Him (knew Him) then they would know God as well. It makes me eager to study more of Jesus' life and teachings in order to know my Heavenly Father better.


No comments:

Post a Comment