8.3.11

SGF: Epiphany - Day 62

Last day of Epiphany. Tomorrow Lent starts. This year, I've decided to give up two silly, time-consuming games I play on facebook - FarmVille and CityVille. There're stupid games with no real purpose and I spend too much time on them when I could be doing much more productive things like reading, writing, Abi's baby book and cross-stitch, working out, and so on. Plus I know that after about 3 days I won't even notice that I'm not playing them.

Today's Invitation is from Psalm 146 and part of it says, "the Lord lifts up those who are bowed down" (v. 8). I love this promise because so many people I know are going through really tough times in their lives right now. Failing marriages, children with life-threatening illnesses, financial difficulties, and so much more. It's comforting to be reminded that God doesn't abandon us during such times. In fact, He is closer than ever (or maybe it's just our perception - I'm sure He is always right beside us), lifting us up and helping us along during our weakest, most vulnerable times.

Parts of Psalm 64 compose the Bible Song today and once again (I'm sensing a theme here, or at the very least, an affirmation that this poem that's been bouncing around in my head needs to be written) the imagery of a sharp tongue is used: "They sharpen their tongues like swords and aim cruel words like deadly arrows" (v. 3). There's another promise as well: "But God will shoot them with his arrows; they will suddenly be struck down" (v. 7). Another great reminder that God looks after His people and He will avenge those who are mistreated. Perhaps this also a reminder to let God fight our battles sometimes - we shouldn't be seeking revenge on those who hurt us. Rather, we should turn the other cheek, make our hearts right, and let Him take care of the others.

The Bible Reading today is from Matthew 20 and is one of my favourites of Jesus' parables. It's about the landowner who hires workers for his vineyard and ends up paying the same wages to those who worked all day as those who only worked for an hour. This story tells me that it isn't up to me to judge anyone else and that I don't get to decide how one gets "paid" for how he or she lives his or her life. Ultimately, no matter how I live my life, I will get the same reward as someone who served God "better" or "worse" (or my perceived interpretations of that) than I did. Which is freeing and a wonderful assertion of God's grace and generosity. As today's Prayer, taken from the Belgic Confession, says, "Lavish God, thank you that grace is a gift, that redemption in Jesus is free, not a loan or an advance. I'm so grateful that you are not a loan shark, extorting my life's servitude in repayment for your generosity, but a loving Father who shares with me the whole estate" (BC 23).

No comments:

Post a Comment